DrAMa Girl

Monday, March 27, 2006

Going theatre

Last Saturday, I went to watch my first play in KL PAC with a few friends. The title of the play is " The Homecoming" by Harold Pinter. It was a great experience to watch a real live performance. The seats in Pentas 2 were all filled with different generation theatre goers. when i entered the theatre, the actors are in their place. this made me more excited to watch the play. . The play is a western play, but the play is directed by a Malaysian director. All the casts are from Malaysia. The actors and actoress can speak very well and clear English accept a new actor. This is about a family conflict. When the eldest son, Teddy comes back from America. He brings his wife, Ruth to meet his family. The moment when they enter the scene, I could sense that there is something wrong with the wife. In the end, I was shocked when I knew that Teddy is willing to leave his wife to mess around with his brothers and his father. I feel the play is too short and I wish the play could be longer. Going to theatre is enjoying and i wish I can watch more theatre.

1 Comments:

  • Hmmm, when you said the director of this play is Malaysian I feel shocked. From the source that I know, the director is a mixture from Malaysia and western. For me, he has the ability to direct the play according to the sense of culture that he has experiencing in both cultures. But I do agree with your statement when you said the play was too short. I feel like wanted to see the play longer as they said the play only being adapted from two act in the play. It is quite different from the Malay play that I attend at Istana Budaya where I think it is more prestigious there. However, the setting and the props are the same as English theatre that being used. You know Jin, the messages that the play tries to portray is quite difficult for me to accept it. It because of the different cultures that we adapt in Malaysia I think. Nevertheless, this play is fun because of the sudden humors that Pinter adds in the play. Just that I do feel this play is insulting women’s role as mother and for me being a mother is a noble gift from the God!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home